Monday, October 23, 2017

What Did You Use from Unearthed Arcana?


When I started we mixed and matched whatever books and modules we had. I had the BX basic box and the Basic and Expert Mentzer boxes. I evenutally got the 2e core books. My friends Matt and Doug loved Dragonlance so we mixed that stuff in too.

Unlike today where you can go to the kickstarter page, watch a video, and even fund every release, there wasn't much you could do to know what was out there except maybe go to Waldenbooks to see what they had. I didn't know about UA until maybe 1990? 1988-1990? Right before 2e. Before that I played BECM. Although I flipped through UA, I liked 2e better because it seemed newer. I wonder where the monk and barbarian went but it didn't bother me per se. The DMG even had a system to construct your own classes so if you wanted a monk or barbarian you could make one up for yourself.

I think I did play a one campaign 1-on-1 as the player where there was a Comeliness stat but it was qualitative, not quantitative. (That was a wild campaign - we were third level and ended up in the outer planes dealing with devils and angels. At the time it seemed stupid, but it was my own narrow interpretation. In retrospect it was a very good campaign.)

1 comment: