Monday, November 13, 2017

Post Type: Not Gaming-Related

UPDATE 11/18/2017: The book is not the book I thought it would be. The title isn't right for the book it is becoming. I thought for sure that Hastings would be the beginning of the tale in earnest, but it seems that the characters have lots to do and lots to say before we get there, and it might even be at the end of the book, if not 2/3 into it.

So I need a new title, and I have chosen LIONS, RED AND GOLD for now, referring to the lions rampant on William's crest, and those upon the crest of England subsequent to Hastings.




My production - both in terms of quantity and quality* - has been way down for the last couple of weeks. I have been trying out NaNoWriMo, which is an intellectual challenge where you try to write a novel in its entirety in the month of November!  Here is the Website.

Have you ever wanted to write something? Like, an essay or a game book or a novel? I have always wanted to do it. But each year, November 1 comes and goes somehow and I forget. I think it's a mental block. For ten years (this is the 11th) I have known about NaNoWriMo and wanted to try it. Well, this year I am trying it!

As in all things, the trick is to just do it. So, that's what I'm doing!

But it means making choices with my time and creative energy. So the trade-off is I'm not blogging quite so much or quite so good. Instead, here are the first four chapters of my novel. It is called Whiston House. BUT I think I will have to change the name.

You see, when I began writing, I thought that there would be some preliminary stuff, the main character would live through the Battle of Hastings, travel west, and end up as the abbot of his own monastery: the titular Whiston House.

But now I'm 40 pages in and I don't think the Battle of Hastings will happen until page 100 or later.

My LITTLE goal is to write 50,000 words (about 100 pages) during November. So far, so good.

My BIG goal is to tell one story in about 90,000 words / 180 pages, and then begin work on a sequel of about 180 pages. All told, around 180,000 words / 360 pages. 

So here are the first four chapters in case anyone wants to read what I have.  Tra-La!


*In my experience producing content, the secret is quantity, not quality. Sure some people are really good at this, but the ones who can do it with longevity and more importantly get paid for it are the ones who can produce consistent work, even if that work is mediocre. So my advice to anyone who wants to blog or write or whatever is just mail it in, but mail it in every day.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on starting out with your goal. I started blogging as a means to get myself to produce, polish and publish all of the gaming related content I have started, ½ finished, or completed. This way it may just see the light of day!

    あなたはそれをすることができます!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement. We can do it!

      As we say in Japan, 私は硬いゆで卵を持って来てください!

      Delete