Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Update on Writing A Novel











-VS-










I took a month off from writing. It was at the request of my loved ones, who thought I was too focused on it. Well, it's supposed to be for fun, and it wasn't fun for them to see me throw myself into it, so I stopped. I put the writing process on the shelf (but I couldn't stop thinking about the characters!)

I picked up writing again, and have essentially re-written the first part of the book. That's good. The first nine chapters plus prologue are in the can. That's about 130 pages. I'm happy with them. Nothing is perfect, but I would send them as-is to a publisher tomorrow if that was in the offing.

So, there was a lot of work done. A lot of slogging and upwriting. I also developed the glossary of new and invented words. I will also develop a glossary of existing, but obscure words. (I would also like to make an Appendix with color plates showing the various heraldric devices, and maybe an Appendix with family trees. But those appendices are WAY off in the future, if they ever get made. I do words, not pictures.)

So now we get to the part where it becomes important to introduce Harald and tell about his story. I think I will do it with less dialogue, but it really depends on how much the people want to talk. They act, I report it to you. Harald's story is total Game of Thrones. Treachery and backstabbing galore. It's going to be awesome.

Then I want to talk more about Nesta and Imogen, and bring them to Rouen to meet William. Do some Nesta-William stuff, and do some Nesta-Imogen-Guytonnet-Hyacynthe stuff as they train for battle (to the extent they do train, that's something I have to look at.)

Then I'm not sure. Maybe a little Harold Godwinson? 

Then Harald and Harold have the battle at Stamford Bridge. Then Harold books it down to Hastings and William puts him down.

The End.

Then what? Prepare to head westward, in hopes of conquering those pesky Welsh. But that is a story for another book.

OH SNAP

There's another fellow who is writing fan fiction about Game of Thrones House Lanister who is using the same title: Lions, Red and Gold (ok, his has the comma and mine doesn't, but it's the same thing.) 

I am distraught and I do not know what to do. I intend to email him and see whether he's wedded to the title or what.



2 comments:

  1. Fan fiction? I say ignore him and crush him like a bug. Perfect plan heh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad comments are back. I'm glad you're back! I don't know what happened!

      Delete