Friday, October 13, 2017

I Have Turned On Comments

When the blog got eaten up I didn't go back to the settings and fix the comments section so that people could leave unmoderated comments. Was this some clever stratagem? Hardly! It was just a mistake! The blog did catch your comments and I just read them all. Thank you all for leaving wonderful and helpful comments! It is gratifying to know people care enough to tell you what they think about what you write.

I want to specifically address one comment from Chris Jones of the excellent Classic RPG Realms blog. He was asking me something to the effect of, what is this new medieval project? The one with the various Estates and the English and Welsh borderlands thing?

The answer is: I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT WILL BE! 

People have been asking about "my setting" so the best place to start is here.


Expounding:

1) I did write my own version of D&D. It's called Mythical Journeys. It is most closely related to Holmes, but it is not a clone of any edition. The final version of the Player's Book is with my editor. It will come back to me some day (I hope!) and I will put it on Lulu and give the PDF away for free.  I will also give it to you if you email me: sanderson2208@gmail.com. I don't have it linked anywhere because it's not edited properly yet.

2) What is it? It is likely to be a source book rather than a game in itself, and it should be completely compatible with old school D&D. Like, a setting with lots of history and gameable maps. Some familiar and some new character classes. Rules for castles and land improvements. I want to make something that will make it possible for people to play D&D but with a more realistic medieval setting.

3) All of this will make more sense once I name the setting and explain it in a paragraph or so. But I have not got THE name for it yet. The name I have for it in my head is not the name of the finished project so that name will stay in my head for now.

4 comments:

  1. Cool stuff! When you say "realistic," does that mean no magical elements in your game? It would be kinda cool if there was a thread of Mabinogion type fantasy involved, but a purely historical setting sounds cool too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for asking!

      There will be some magic. Some will be simple folk magic. there will be some magic items including cool swords and so forth. There will be some monsters and fantasy folk, but they will be very rare. The only true soellcasters are Druids like Merlin. But they are heretics and subject to summary execution.

      Really what I mean is that the default D&D setting is more like the Wild West meets a Renaissance fair than like medieval Europe. I'm just trying to make a background and setting that's more like real Europe than real America.

      Delete
    2. http://treasurehuntershq.blogspot.com/2017/09/glad-to-have-that-out-of-my-system.html

      Delete
  2. Very nice Scott! With the Welsh post I am much more in tune with your idea and I love it. A rich historical-legendary setting that just happens to be drawn from one of my favorite place settings. And thanks for the shout out! I continue to enjoy your blog and the ideas you are producing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete