Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Beset By Inspiration


I didn’t set out to be inspired. Inspiration set out to strike me.


(Caveats per usual: Maybe not even a complete post. Sue me. This is free and you’re getting what you pay for, plus or minus a couple shillings.)

BTW this and other map graphics were
automatically generated by this free generator

I'm going to make up a new setting for my play group and call it 

Fallen Empire

It's not a source book or anything. It's just for fun at home.


Matthew Colville, an excellent new-school creator and author who does a lot of his work live on Twitch and YouTube, has given me a kernel of an idea: 

a city-sandbox campaign based in a high-politics port city where the Prince is dead. 

His version has inspired me to riff off it and throw in my own stuff to make a campaign setting much different from the Welsh Marches setting. Over the next few days I’ll lay out what I got from him and his brainstorming session and what I’m doing.

On a macro level my setting will look like a straight lift of his, including the map and some major background elements. But the details will be different enough that I am confident I can call it my own.

Major Features


Mechanical Elements:

  • Ideal number of players: 3-6 per group, but several groups running simultaneously possible.
  • Basic Adventuring Rules to be my own Mythical Journeys.
  • Using a lot of Chris Tamm’s great d100 charts including a number of elements of his Shadelport.
  • Pendragon style familial generation and dynastic advancement.
  • Using only d6 and d20 for resolutions.
  • Simultaneous initiative but serial resolution
  • Brendan’s Hazard System for time and resource keeping.
  • NO THIEVES! But includes Simon’s Ratcatcher class.
  • Skerples' Medieval Stalemate Generator Here and Here. Also some of my thoughts here.


Setting Elements: 

  • Topologically-equivalent circular Diplomacy game map for the city map
  • Seven major powers and many minor powers competing for primacy in the city
  • A megadungeon castle in the center where the Prince lays in the throes of death - tomb robbers are already picking it clean.
  • A large city set in the footprint of a major metropolis whose glory days are hundreds of years in the past, with the attendant undead and lycan infestations.
  • Humanocentric culture and society, but other races somewhat tolerated in small numbers.
  • Extensive presentation of the personalities of the guilds and noble houses - if the players choose to go that way. Otherwise mentioned in passing.
  • Byzantine politics with many checks and balances meant to keep any one group from dominating the city.
  • Binary religious order - law and chaos - plus druids who are outlaws




Campaign Elements:

Several campaign ideas possible within the setting with varying levels of politics, strategy and tactics and high and low adventure.

  • Military campaigning
  • Megadungeon - castle Triskelion
  • Dungeons and Ruins - all around the city and the megadungeon catacombs beneath
  • Political - intra-guild or inter-guild; dynastic inside your noble house
  • Helping the poor and solving mysteries/Town hijinks 
  • Mercantile campaigns at sea
  • Mercantile campaigns overland
  • NOT piracy since my son is running a pirates game



6 comments:

  1. Very ambitious indeed! Sounds very cool.

    And thanks for the link to that map generator -- I wasn't familiar with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re welcome. We shall see what comes of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic. Most of these resources you're using I haven't ever seen before, thanks for pointing them out!

    You'll have to pay for it, but if you can get a hold of the old Heroes of the Dark Age RPG (1979, 2nd edition came out some time in the 2000s), you might find some useful ways of handling city political adventures. It has copious rules for mercantile adventuring, obtaining different kinds of political & economic positions, dowries & marriage, etc. I mine that game all the time for just about every campaign I run in any system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's marvelous that so many clever people are working passionately on so many projects. Despite some acrimony and division we have an embarrassment of creative riches to draw from; so much that no one person can know it all.

      Thank you for the tip on Dark Age 2E. I will look!

      Delete
  4. I love it! The Prince's castle sounds very interesting, especially if they get to infiltrate it on more than one occasion with different goals. I ran an AD&D campaign set in a metropolis years ago, and it was very fun. Always plenty of ideas for new adventures -- exploring the different quarters, guild wars, rooftop chases, and an epic siege. Its on Obsidian Portal if you want to mine for ideas: https://firestorm.obsidianportal.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, thank you for the link, that's great.

      I have been geeked on Castle Triskleion for years. I have the first few levels printed out in a binder ready to go. So if the players want to go in that direction, there it is.

      Delete