Saturday, September 9, 2017

Castle Caldwell Explorers 5.5

We haven't had another session yet so you haven't missed anything.  Session VI is scheduled for this weekend at my house.

I saw Steve on Wednesday and I asked him about the relationship between Ældlin the Druid and Lord Clifton of the manor, and this is what he wrote to me (click on the text to enbiggificate):

Click to enlarge
So Clifton (Steve) understands the importance of Sylvia's marriage in about the same way that I do - it's a big step up in the world.  Therefore this is a huge favor we are doing for him.  It's worth much more than the 1500 GP he offered as a reward.

But Steve doesn't understand Ældlin's motives.  Ældlin is True Neutral.  He doesn't care about the laws of Men and he also doesn't care about whether Clifton has been a good man and gained power and prestige the "right way" or not.  In as far as Ældlin has interest in temporal politics, two things he values the most are the will to power and survival of the fittest.  Another thing he values is making sure he has leverage locally so he can protect the forest with as little violence as possible.


This is what I wrote back to him:

Click to enlarge

What I didn't write, but that I'm thinking about, is that Clifton already owes Ældlin a huge favor, keeping his land from the blight at some point not long ago.  Now he's asking the Druid to risk certain danger to bring his niece back.  But she's not just a loved one - she's his ticket to nobility for him and his descendants.  Ældlin is going to want a lot more in return than a feeling of wellbeing and a sack of gold coins.

So the questions I have now are:

1) What does Ældlin want?  What will be his opening offer, what will he accept, and when would he walk away

2) What is he willing to do to get ahead?  I have an idea about what the answer here is but I'm not completely sure yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment